8.04.2005

Barfcake!


No offense to this cake's designer, who was doing a lovely job until he vomited up his alfredo sauce while pushing in what appear to be real yellow and red roses, but this cake sucks. It's as boring as some of today's reception decorations are boring. Think of the last few weddings you have attended. I bet I can describe at least some of their elements. Unisized tables, all round, with square white tablecloths draped over square unicolored tablecloths. There was a definite theme color that perhaps did not vary much in hue from the wedding party's theme. There were uncomfy, dentist's convention chairs or the ones made to look like tropical wood but really aren't.

I know chairs are going to be uncomfortable. Halls most often have only a single size and shape of table. And wedding cakes are heinously expensive. But come on, take a tip from this IN-FORUM article, Something old, something new...:

Square tables are 'in' and round tables are 'out.' Receptions are asking for a combination of sizes of tables. Monochromatic color schemes for tables and for decorations [are out].
Catering trends have stayed similar to last year with receptions going away from sit-down formal meals to cocktail-themed parties. Martini bars have become a part of many wedding receptions as well as different entrees such as salmon and tilapia. Vegetarian entrees are very popular with many guests as well as dessert receptions instead of dinner. The trend here seems to be "anything but chicken!"


See? This ain't your mother's wedding, honey. The Finger Ribboners may be serving a traditional turkey dinner at their wedding reception. I think this is HAWT. Another couple known to me will be having their reception catered by the worlds best diner. Yes, diner. And I heartily approve.

I'm not sure I even want my outdoor, beachy keen wedding/reception catered. Considering my wedding will be somewhat informal (in terms of location, not dress, mind you), I see no reason not to have the festivities commence buffet style, with a nice ham, and all sorts of other picnicky outdoorsy sorts of foods.

4 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link of wedding vow.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous blessed said...

Just checking out blogs, and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... Thank you.wedding speeches australia

wedding speeches australia

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Life is Good said...

Just checking out blogs, and thought I would just stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... Thank you.italian theme wedding ideas

italian theme wedding ideas

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.idonowidont.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home